Driveway Cracks Should Be Repaired Right Away
What Causes Driveway Cracks?
Cracks are a common driveway occurrence, especially in Canada. Once asphalt breaks down and water from rain and melted snow seeps in the crevices, the water freezes and expands causing the asphalt to break. Cracks can range from minor to extreme, the worst of which is what we in the industry call “alligator cracking”
Common Causes Of Driveway and Asphalt Cracks:
Road Salt and Brine
Salt eats away at your asphalt and breaks down which results in cracking
Rain will seep into crevices and soften the asphalt from under the surface
Winter Weather, Ice and Snow:
When snow and ice melts, the water gets into the cracks and freezes it causes the cracks to stretch and expand
UV Rays from the Sun
The hot sun softens up your asphalt and slowly breaks it down
“My driveway is new and looks great. I would like to keep it this way.”
To successfully prevent your asphalt from falling victim against cracks, it is necessary to seal your driveway on a regular basis (1-2 years). Regular maintenance is the best way to ensure the longevity of your driveway. Without proper care, your once durable pavement surface will have its life expectancy decreased dramatically.
“I don’t want my driveway to get any worse then it is. How can it be revived?”
Contact Seal Of Approval and we will fill in those cracks and patch up those potholes. These repairs will save you a substantial amount in maintenance costs such as replacing the asphalt.
Driveway Crack Repair & Process
“What process and products does Seal of Approval use?”
- First, all cracks are cleared of debris
- Two variations of special crack filling solvents are used depending on the size of the crack.
- One solvent is a high-grade liquid crack filler designed for commercial use.
- The other is a specially formulated product that is unlike any other used in Ontario. It is a direct heat rubberized crack and joint sealer. The product is melted directly into the crack
- The material we use is similar to what you would see on all major roads and highways
- When cracks have broken away pieces of your asphalt, we will remove all debris and patch it with commercial grade cold asphalt
Please keep in mind that the cracking will spread and increase in size if not repaired. Be sure to get your driveway fixed right away if you see cracking.