“I like the way a sealed driveway looks but I don’t think it is necessary for me to spend any money on that right now”
Driveway sealing is constantly over looked and frequently ignored, mostly due to a lack of knowledge. The amount of money it costs to seal a driveway is a small fraction of what it costs to replace the whole driveway. In addition, the aesthetic appeal of a sealed driveway will add value to any homeowner looking to sell their home. Having a maintained and new looking driveway will encourage buyers and garner more lucrative offers.
While aesthetics may be the driving factor behind most driveway sealing decisions, there are many other benefits such as:
- Increasing the longevity of your driveway’s pavement, leading to dramatic financial savings
- Increased flexibility and asphalt protection against a wide temperature range and a variety of weather elements
- Helps to prevent driveway peeling and cracking
- Resistance to detergents utilized in clean oil or petroleum based spills
Canada experiences four very distinct seasons that requires a sealant that can handle a multitude of damaging factors such as:
- Oxidization from the sun
- The drying of asphalt which breaks down and loses its elasticity due to salts, oil and water
- Water damage leading to crack expansion. As a result of water seeping into cracks and freezing during winter, the resulting ice within the cracks leads to bigger and much more expansive cracking.